Do I have the right skills?
Before conducting regional and remote engagement you need to ensure you have the right skills, or that you are “Bush Ready”.
We suggest that being bush ready includes the following essential skills:
- Remote Engagement Essentials
- Cross Cultural competency
- Communication / plain English / active listening (reframing)
- Driving on remote roads using a 4WD
- Understanding the community history, its people, language/s culture and cultural protocols, restrictions, local dynamics and any ‘burning’ issues
Additional skills include:
- Planning and project management
- Conflict management
There are a number of self-tests and resources we have found or have been recommended to us, and are provided here.
If you find any online tools or resources you think would be useful, please let us know and we will add them.
There are also a number of face to face courses you can do, and we have provided links to these from the relevant section.